405 Madison Street – The Gilliam House

The Gilliam House is a mixture of Spanish Colonial and Georgian Revival styles. The house was built in 1913-1914 for $86,000 by architect Stanhope Johnson for James R. Gilliam, Sr. who was president of six Virginia banks, five coal and coke companies, and of the Lynchburg Shoe Company. Two frame homes originally standing there were demolished to make way for the imposing structure. The conversion to apartments in 1959 was made easier by the presence of the five original complete bathrooms in the house. The house was restored to a single family residence in 1990. The front door opens onto the 50 foot grand hall with soaring ceilings and cherry columns and wainscoting.